Connie Sumara Memorial Scholarship
Each year, the League of Railway Women (LRW) awards a scholarship to a woman pursuing a graduate or undergraduate degree and seeking to futher her career in the rail industry.
LRW recognizes the importance of education and is proud to offer financial assistance to students working to achieve their academic goals.
About the ScholarshipIn 2014, the LRW Board of Directors voted unanimously to name its annual scholarship in memory of former LRW President Connie Sumara. Ms. Sumara, one of the founders of the organization and its longest-serving president, passed away in March 2014. She was a dedicated employee of Chicago Freight Car Leasing Co. (CFCL) for 26 years, beginning her career as office manager and ultimately working her way up to Vice President and Director of Customer Support before retiring in November of 2012.
How to Apply
2022 Eligibility Criteria:
- GPA of 3.0 or higher.
- The applicant must be a female who is currently employed by a railroad or railway-related business (such as a supplier) for at least twelve months.
- The applicant must be currently enrolled, at a minimum, as a part-time student (6-hours per spring and fall semester).
- Applicants must be currently enrolled at an accredited/post-secondary institution leading to an Associate’s, Bachelor’s, or Master’s Degree. The curriculum must be certified by an accepted accreditation board in the United States or Canada.
- Applicants of any field of study may apply, though the degree will need to support the applicant’s career in the rail industry.
Amount of Award:
- $3,000 USD
- The application is currently closed. We are currently reviewing the applications received. Winner to be announced in August.
Please contact email@example.com for more information or to contribute.