Governance & Election Procedures
The League of Railway Women’s (LRW) Board of Directors is made up of railway industry professionals, five of which comprise the executive committee. The Nominating Committee is charged with presenting a slate of candidates to the full LRW membership for election every two years. All board members serve on a voluntary basis.
The LRW Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring the organization’s long-term financial stability and integrity. Officers and directors ensure that the organization fulfills its mission by doing quality work. LRW board members pledge to personally contribute their time and talents toward connecting and cultivating women in rail.
Board Member Responsibilities:
- Attend in-person board meetings (usually 1 per year) and participate in monthly conference calls
- Actively participate in decision-making
- Maintain your membership and promote membership to others
- Serve on special committees as assigned
- Participate in the organization’s conferences and meetings
- Commitment: Serving as an LRW board member requires a demonstrated commitment to the organization and its mission and goals. Board members are required to attend each board meeting, serve or assist on committees, and be available to members.
- Time to Serve: Participating fully in association activities requires extra time to prepare for meetings. Board members usually commit to two to three hours per month to prepare for and participate in conference calls/board meetings in addition to the annual LRW meeting.
- Sound Judgment and Integrity: Being an LRW board member means that decisions you make must be tempered with good judgment and integrity, you must also consider what is in the best interest of the LRIW as whole. Discussions held at board meetings are strictly confidential.
- Strategic Thinking: LRW is looking for candidates who are strategic thinkers and visionaries who will help determine LRW’s short- and long-term goals and future direction.
- Opportunity to meet and work with other rail industry leaders.
- Opportunity to network with colleagues in other segments of the railroad industry.
- Potential to meet with industry officials and leaders on the LRW’s behalf.
- Opportunity to identify needs and to support and achieve organization and professional goals
LRW is currently accepting nominations for our board of directors, learn more here.
Each year, LRW membership is asked to submit nominations to the board. Once a slate of candidates is developed, the Nominating Committee presents a slate of qualified nominees for each open board position. The full membership votes electronically and election results are announced to the membership at the annual conference. In the event all nominees for office are unopposed, the Secretary may be instructed to cast a unanimous ballot.
If you are a member of the League of Railway Women and would like to be a candidate or nominate someone for the board, please contact Elections@railwaywomen.org.