Governance & Election Procedures
The League of Railway Women’s (LRW) Board of Directors is made up of approximately fifteen female railway industry professionals, four of which comprise the executive committee. LRW is a completely volunteer association, thus the board, the committees and the membership as a whole drive our efforts.
The typical office term for board members is three years. The Nominating Committee is charged, to the best of its ability, with taking into consideration the size of the company and disciplines in the industry to help ensure the board fully represents the LRW membership.
The nominees are vetted by the Nominating Committee and presented to the Board of Directors. The Nominating Committee (under the supervision of the LRW President) will then present a slate of candidates to the full LRW membership for election.
The LRW Board of Directors is responsible for ensuring the organization’s long-term financial stability and integrity. Officers and directors ensure that the organization fulfills its mission by doing quality work. Officers and directors recognize that in order to foster the organization’s continued viability and growth, their participation in all aspects of LRW activities is necessary. LRW board members pledge to personally contribute their time and talents toward this end.
- Nominee must be an LRW member in good standing
- Nominee must be a woman active in the railroad industry or retired from the industry
- Attend in-person board meetings and participate in monthly conference calls
- Actively participate in decision-making
- Maintain your membership and promote membership to others
- Share your area of expertise with the board and other members
- Serve on special committees as assigned
- Participate in the organization’s conferences and meetings
- Commitment: Serving as an LRW board member is both an honor and a reward, but it requires a demonstrated commitment to the organization and its mission and goals. Board members are required to attend each board meeting, serve or assist on committees, and be available to members.
- Time to Serve: Participating fully in association activities requires extra time to prepare for travel and attend meetings. Board members usually commit to two to three hours per month to prepare for and participate in conference calls/board meetings.
- Sound Judgment and Integrity: Being an LRW board member means that decisions you make must be tempered with good judgment and integrity, you must also consider what is in the best interest of the LRIW as whole. Discussions held at board meetings are strictly confidential.
- Strategic Thinkers: LRW is looking for candidates who are strategic thinkers and visionaries who will help determine LRW’s short- and long-term goals and future direction.
- Reimbursement: Board members are responsible for their own travel to and from meetings of the board. There is no financial compensation for serving on the board.
- Time Commitment: Attend each board meeting, serve or assist on committees and be available to members, other leaders, estimated to require 2-3 hours per month. Board meetings are typically held on a monthly basis via conference call with one or two in-person board meetings during LRW events.
- Board members have the opportunity to meet and work with other rail industry leaders.
- Board members have the opportunity to network with colleagues in other segments of the railroad industry.
- Board members meet with various top industry officials and leaders on the LRW’s behalf.
- Provides an opportunity to identify needs and to support and achieve organization and professional goals.
Each year, LRW membership is asked to submit nominations to the board. Once a slate of candidates is developed, the Nominating Committee presents a slate of qualified nominees for each open board position. The full membership votes electronically and election results are announced to the membership at the annual conference. In the event all nominees for office are unopposed, the Secretary may be instructed to cast a unanimous ballot.
If you are a member of the League of Railway Women and would like to be a candidate or nominate someone for the board, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.